Thursday, April 14, 2011

A little bit about myself...

I'm 27 years old and I live just across the Potomac from DC. I've been running for about 3 years. I have run 1 marathon and 5 half marathons and plan on running another marathon in the fall. I'm a member of the DC Tri Club and the DC Roadrunners. I sort of fell into running when I thought it was pathetic that I couldn't run a 10 minute mile and then it snowballed from there. I suppose you could say that I've fallen in love with running as most people who try it do. I'd like to think that I read more about running than the average runner since I do about 1-2 hours of reading about running (now swimming and biking) a day. Reading about running is probably one of the most enjoyable things I do and I rarely hate running unless I'm doing it on the treadmill. I decided I wanted to start doing triathlons at some point during marathon training. I tend to think of myself as a very competitive person which likely stems from playing football and lacrosse. I hate to think this but during marathon training it seemed as if running a marathon just wasn't enough of an accomplishment for me, plus those long runs get boring (not unlike this blog will be) and there seem to be less triathletes then there are runner. It's obvious I'm not alone in feeling as though a marathon is not enough of an accomplishment considering the amount of 50 milers, 100 milers, the Barkley Marathons, Badlands and countless other races longer than a marathon. My marathon time was not nearly as fast as my training runs would suggest it should have been mainly due to an injury and too much activity the day before the race. Hopefully triathlons will help...they better since I'm signed up for three already. I've always know how to swim but, I really started swimming in January and struggled with rotary breathing at first. After 3 or 4 swims I got the hang of it and can swim about 1000 meters in 24 minutes. Now I'm working on breathing on the other side of my body, which is like trying to swing a baseball bat or a golf club from the opposite side you're used to.

My first Tri will be on May 7th in Lake Norman which is just outside of Charlotte, NC...wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment