Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I'm finally going to Tri it!

Sadly, I've been out of commission for awhile. Strangely enough, it was from bad Gatorade. I had no idea this was possible but apparently if you leave an unopened bottle of Gatorade out of the refrigerator for too long bacteria will develop. I did horrible in chemistry and don't know much about biology, or whatever branch of science deals with bacteria, therefore had no idea this would happen. It was a gallon bottle of Gatorade which was too big for the fridge so, I left it on the floor directly in front of a window. I drank from it two Fridays ago and was sick that night. At first I thought it may have been food poisoning from Panera since I was fine the next morning, but missed my long run. In preparation for a long bike ride the next day and because I probably lost a lot of electrolytes from being sick I drank more Gatorade and I got sick again. Before I was heading to bed on Saturday night, I went to drink more Gatorade when I finally noticed something resembling phlegm in the bottle. Right then I realized it was the Gatorade that had been making me sick. I took the next week off since I was sick on and off throughout the week. I've never had it but, I'm guessing it was similar to Montezuma's revenge and the bacteria may still be in my system.

On a brighter note, tonight is track night my first triathlon is this Saturday! I'm doing a sprint triathlon in Lake Norman right outside Charlotte, NC. I tried out my wetsuit in a pool last night. It was the first time I've ever worn a wetsuit and I had no idea I would be able to float on the water. I was told they provide more buoyancy but had no idea they would provide that much. Anyways, I've been ready for this race for a long time and I think I have everything I need for it. According to the times from last year, it's possible that I may come in 2nd or 3rd in the Clydesdale division, but that might be wishful thinking since it is my first race. I think I'll be fine as long as I don't get kicked in the face and drown and hopefully I'll have some pictures to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment