Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Getting my Cycling Legs Back

 

With my recent move to St Louis I needed to find a new gym and the YMCA is perfect since it’s about a mile away and they have a decent size pool.

I haven’t been cycling much during due to marathon training and the lack of cycling may have contributed to my knee issues. If I had to guess it was either my shoes or my legs relying on the different leg strength I had developed and then losing most of it when I needed it. To get my biking strength back I decided spin classes would be the best way to do it and avoid the cold at the same time. Granted I hate some of the things they try to get you to do such as hit 130 rpm or stand straight up and pedal. I’m not sure if this will help triathlons as 130 rpms doesn’t seem to effect my heart rate much.

 

The cool thing about cycling class is they have Schwinn bikes which are ANT+ enabled so I can track my heart rate and cadence. They’re not fancy enough to calculate power but, I guess it’s better than nothing. It’s good for being able to see my heart rate while “climbing.”

 

One other thing I don’t understand about people at the YMCA is why they feel the need to use the locker directly next to mine when my lock is the only lock on the row? Yesterday, I came back to my locker at the same time some guy was changing. He seemed pretty annoyed but, he made a poor locker choice.

 

On a very happy note, I will soon be the proud owner of this brand new Cannondale Slice.

Slice

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is a nice bike. I was torn between this bike and the Cervelo P2. I ended up with the P2, but I still like the Slice a lot.

    Btw, it must be something about the "Y" because it is like that here too!

    ReplyDelete